Week 4 September 2007: No rain this week. Total for September = 2.5mm  Av = 53mm

Last week we mentioned making up a fruit fly attractant and placing the mixture in bottles and hanging them amongst our fruit trees. They seem to be working, as within a couple of days the bottles had flies doing freestyle in the mixture.

Lots of plants in flower this week including: Grevillea wilkinsonii, Grevillea willisii, Grevillea williamsonii, Hakea salicifolia, Acacia ligulata, Acacia pycnostachya, Melaleuca blaeriifolia and Melaleuca micromera.

Over the last couple of years we have had a number of self-sown Clematis vines appear in the gardens. They twine amongst the trees and shrubs. This week they made their presence felt when they burst into bloom. Some plants are covered with masses of cream flowers (see image).

We germinated some Waratah seeds some time ago and potted them on into tubes. This week we moved the plants into 14 centimetre pots. We feel that the Waratahs may have a better chance of survival if planted when they are more advanced.

Birds are very active at this time of the year. This week we found a Yellow-faced Honeyeater nest in a Westringia plant near our house. The nest had two eggs.

We spent some time watering our new gardens with grey water this week. Because of the lack of rain we need to keep new plants well-watered.

This week the garden played host to at least a pair of Spiny-cheeked Honeyeaters. These large Honeyeaters visit Yallaroo at this time every year.

We have a number of Senna artemisioides plants in our gardens. This week a pair of Carpenter Bees visited the flowers of one plant. These large native bees resemble Blowflies on steroids.

With our large garden we often find plants that we had forgotten about. This week in one of our garden beds we found a Callistemon teretifolius that was planted about five years ago. The plant is about 1.5 metres tall and hidden amongst other plants. There are buds on each branch and one flower spike is just coming out. This plant was probably grown from seed that we collected in the Flinders Ranges, South Australia over 30 years ago. This is the only specimen in the garden so some cuttings will be taken from this solitary plant.

One day this week we helped a technician collect some Lissanthe strigosa material for a practical class in the Botany Department at the University of New England. We have a number of specimens growing naturally and they are in full flower.

This month’s issue of the Australian Geographic magazine had an article about frogs. Our experience with frog ponds was mentioned.

One day this week we had six visitors to the Yallaroo. We took them on a tour of the garden and extolled the virtues of growing native plants.

On Sunday we visited our neighbours for a birthday party. We had an enjoyable time and learnt more about Satellite Broadband.

New on the Site: Callistemon teretifolius and Grevillea wilkinsonii.

 

Garden Diary