Week 2 November 2008: Rain = 20.5mm

Heavy gardening activities are still curtailed after our internal plumbing repairs. Plenty of time to walk around the garden and admire the flowers.

A number of our edible exotics are flowering profusely. An olive tree is in full flower and attracting lots of bees. A Pineapple Feijoa is also blooming with large, attractive reddish flowers. A Persimmon is also covered with flowers.

We have a Nelly Kelly Passionfruit growing on our tank. A couple of years ago cuttings were taken from this plant. They took root and one was planted against the north-facing wall of our shed. This cutting has developed into a large vine with many flowers. This vine has more flowers than the parent. We will be planting more Passionfruit cuttings in the future.

This week we bought some anti-bird netting to place over our edible exotics to protect the developing fruit.

A number of natives are also flowering. A Hakea rostrata is covered in white flowers. This species has unusual beaked, woody fruits. Our Kunzea ambigua plants are breaking out in white, fluffy flowers. The blooms have a strong honey smell and are attracting lots of insects. We have two forms of this species. One is an upright shrub whilst the other develops into a mounded groundcover.

We have a Halgania preissiana plant in one of newer gardens. This specimen carries intense blue flowers for long periods. This week we noticed that the plant is surrounded by suckers. We removed some of these and potted them on into tubes. They appear to be surviving. Some suckers are almost 30 centimetres from the parent.

In our grasslands we have Bulbine bulbosa (Bulbine Lilies) and Dichopogon fimbriatus (Nodding Chocolate Lilies) plants flowering.

This week we started a propagation experiment. Our son told us about totally soaking cuttings in Esi-root propagation solution. We have some Esi-root solution so decided to try it out. We made up a solution of 10 millilitres of Esi-root in a litre of water. Cuttings were prepared and submerged in the solution for a couple of hours before placing in pots and then into our propagating unit. We will try a number of species and varieties and report on the success or failure of this method in the fullness of time. 

New on the Site: Hakea rostrata.

Garden Diary