Week 2 March 2009: Rain = 4 mm

This week we started to pick some tomatoes. The first variety to ripen was The Yellow Pears. These produce small fruit, shaped like a pear and yellow. They have proved to be very tasty. The plants are growing in one of our gardens in company with our native plants. Next spring we will be growing tomatoes and other vegetables in our vegetable rings.

This week we finished filling our four vegetable rings with soil. It took about 250 ten litre buckets to fill all the rings.

Used our push mower one morning to cut the grass, weeds and sundry other herbaceous plants (both native and exotic) around the house. The resulting chopped material was placed in our rotary composter. The clippings were mixed with sawdust, sieved chipped green waste plus blood and bone. One part clippings to one and half parts of dry material and a couple of handfuls of blood and bone. The composter works very well and produces well-rotted compost.

Planting continued this week with 52 plants finding homes in our garden. At present we are planting about 100 metres east of the house. The soil here is very friable and the plants are growing well in this garden.

On our weekly shopping trip we bought some fish for our aquarium. Six Neon Tetras, six female Guppies, three Swordtails and two Bristle-nosed Catfish were purchased. The aquarium has come alive with the addition of these fish.

Whilst moving the soil into the vegetable rings we uncovered a Burrowing Frog. Donít know if it came with the soil or is one of our local frogs. The frog was transferred to one of our ponds.

This week a Red-necked Wallaby was feeding on the mown area near the house. This is the first sighting, of these graceful macropods, for many months.

One of our Crowea exalata plants is in full flower and is attracting both male and female Carpenter Bees. These large native bees are about the same size as the infamous Australian blowfly.

 

Garden Diary