Bees_on_Honey_Gem.JPG (47220 bytes)Week 2 December 2009:  Rain = 4.5 millimetres

Last week we attended the local Native Plant Groupís Christmas function. The party was held in two memberís native garden. The owners generously allowed us to collect some cuttings of their Correa lawrenciana. This variety has red flowers. Early this week we put the cuttings in our propagating unit. We already have a green-flowered form.

Planting continued this week. Nine plants went into the ground this week and more holes were dug to accommodate yet more plants.

Two Wedge-tailed Eagles were flying around the garden this week. They were probably trying to find the Grey Kangaroo that died last week. Unfortunately the corpse is hidden in one of our gardens and would not be accessible to large Eagles.

This week we ate the first tomato from one of our vegetable rings. There are a lot more developing on the bushes.

Last week we ordered a 250 ml bottle of red Clonex rooting hormone gel from Sage Horticultural in Melbourne. This week the bottle arrived and we have started to use the gel. The bottle cost $40 including postage. This size bottle will treat thousands of cuttings. We have some Clonex that is over ten years old and that has well and truly exceeded its use-by-date. It will be interesting to see if the new Clonex is more effective than the old.

We saw our first snake, of the season, this week. The reptile was a Red-bellied Black Snake about one metre long. It was visiting one of our gardens. There are plenty of lizards around but very few snakes.

This week we printed a number of Christmas cards. Each year we select a flower photo from a plant growing at Yallaroo. The featured plant this Christmas was Melaleuca hypericifolia Ulladulla Beacon.

We thought about having a new segment in our weekly Garden Diary. The Highlight of the Week will feature something we found interesting from either the garden or during our travels.   

Highlight of the Week: This week the flowers on our Grevillea Honey Gem were crowded with native bees with not an exotic honey bee in sight. Those we identified were the Golden-shouldered Leioproctus, the Leaf-faced Bee (Amphylaeus morosus) and Raymentís Red Bee. The image shows a cluster of Leaf-faced Bees with yellow patches on the back and some Raymentís Red Bees. There were also two species that we could not identify. This was the largest number of native bees that we have observed visiting one plant.

 

Garden Diary