Week 1 November 2015: Rain = 44 millimetres. Very welcome rain. Our house tank is full and the plants are jumping out of the ground.

Most of our wattles have produced lots of pods since flowering finished. One of particular interest is Acacia leptoclada a local northern NSW species. Last season this species flowered well but produced no pods. We will be collecting seeds when the pods ripen.

We spent some time watching the 1st cricket test between Australia and New Zealand. Keeping with the sporting theme we also watched the Rugby World Cup final also between Australia and New Zealand. Unfortunately Australia lost.

This week we found three Bulbine vagans plants in tray behind our plastic house. The plants were coming into flower. This is a beautiful lily-like native with masses of yellow flowers in spring and early summer. Unfortunately, in the garden, the succulent foliage is favoured by our resident kangaroos.

Last week we mentioned the sub-tropical grevilleas that have expired in a garden bed near our deck. This week we started to replant this horticultural disaster area. We will be planting a number of plants that have been purchased recently. 

We potted on struck cuttings of Grevillea hookeriana and Hemiandra pungens. Plenty in flower at the moment including: Callistemon formosus, Melaleuca diosmatifolia, M. elliptica, M. brevifolia, Leptospermum Julie Ann (a dwarf form of L. rotundifolium) and Eryngium vesiculosum (the Blue Devil). This latter unusual plant resembles an exotic thistle but is a native member of the Apiaceae family. We also found a clump of Chocolate Lilies (Dichopogon species) flowering near our front gate.

We dropped our visitor, from Lithgow, at the train and then paid a visit to the Bunnings store. This time we purchased a Grevillea Jelly Baby and two strawberry varieties. From there we paid a visit to friends who live on the north eastern outskirts of Armidale. They have an interesting garden with a good range of native plants. We were particularly taken with nice specimens of Leptospermum rotundifolium and a prostrate form of Kunzea ambigua. We had a very pleasant time.

In our vegetable beds our zucchini plants are bursting into bloom. We took out the broad bean plants from another bed. These plants have finished bearing. We cut up the stalks and placed them in our rotary composter. The roots were broken up and dug into the bed. The roots were covered in nitrogen fixing nodules. By breaking up the roots the nodules will release the nitrogen and improve soil fertility.

Wildlife observations: A young Swamp Wallaby was feeding near our verandah. This is a popular area. On another day three Red-necked Wallabies were feeding there. We found a Dwarf Tree Frog on the foliage in the vegetable garden. Our big pond is full of large tadpoles. They are either Peronís Tree Frog or the Burrowing Frog. Two Yellow-tufted Honeyeaters were observed visiting bottlebrush flowers near the house.

 

Garden Diary