Week 1 January 2006: Rain = 17.5mm
We wish all our readers a happy and horticulturally successful New Year.
Our New Yearís resolutions are simple. We are going to try to keep the Garden Diary up to date and to keep planting and propagating.
The New Year started with the sighting of a Brown Snake near the house. These snakes tend to be aggressive and fortunately the reptile moved further afield.
This week we also observed a pair of Richardís Pipits on the mown area to the north of the house. They are occasional visitors to Yallaroo and spend their time moving through the grass feeding on insects.
We spent some time planting this week. We have accumulated a backlog of plants that need to be planted out. Over the Christmas period there was no planting because we were busy socialising with our family.
A little while ago we planted a Nymphoides germinata plant in our patio pool. This plant has developed rapidly and now we have three plants in the pool. Their flowers only last for a day but every 24 hours we have an average of 13 bright yellow blooms. We will be planted this colourful, native aquatic in other pools.
We have been watering a couple of Banksias with soluble fertiliser. They have developed yellow leaves and we find that this treatment usually cures the problem. See: Nutrient Problems.
Near our fruit trees we have caught glimpses of a large Blue Tongue Lizard. The lizard retreats to a large hole in the ground and we are not sure of its size. Hopefully we will be able to see it for a longer period. This may be one of the largest Blue Tongues we have ever seen.
This week we found an Eastern Spinebill nest in one of our Acacias (Acacia howittii). There may be two chicks in the nest that is about two metres off the ground.
We observed lots of small butterflies around the grass on our mown areas. They were identified as Common Grass Blues. They are certainly common as every summer there are hundreds flying around own grassy areas.
This week we were very disappointed. In our orchard (?) we have two nectarines and two peaches. Every year we collect buckets of fruit with little damage from fruit fly. This year we put up bottles containing a male fruit fly attractant in order to reduce the districtís fruit fly population. Unfortunately the males were attracted and before drowning, in the attractant, managed to mate with the females. Every piece of fruit was fly-blown. All the fruit was placed in a drum and covered with water. At least this will generate some liquid fertiliser and short circuit the fly problem. Next season we will either not use the attractant or place the bottles at least 500 metres from our trees so that the males will be attracted away from the peaches and nectarines.
We did some weeding this week in our new gardens. We find one of the best weeding tools is a large screwdriver.

Garden Diary