Week 1 August 2014: No rain this week.
Seedlings and struck cuttings were potted on this week including: seedling Acacia pycnostachya, A. spectabilis and cuttings of A. amblygona, Grevillea wilkinsonii, G. Carpet Queen, Kunzea ambigua and Leptospermum Rudolph.
This week we put down sheets of corrugated iron on a new garden. The grass and weeds under the iron will have expired in a month or so and we will have a blank canvas for planting. This new garden is just across the road from our garden north of the house. This northern garden has an area of 280 square metres but a percentage of this is taken up by a rocky outcrop. We dig up lots of smaller rocks when digging planting holes. These rocks are put to good use. They are placed around the plants and form another layer of mulch. The photo shows a recently planted area of this garden complete with a mulch of chipped material. The photo shows a section, of this garden, freshly planted and mulched with planting holes to the left.
For the first time we measured the ph of a section of the garden. This is where we are going to plant a Blueberry Nellie Kelly in front of our north-facing deck. Blueberries prefer an acid soil. Fortunately the spot is acidic so no treatment is required.
This week we ordered canes of thornless blackberry and loganberry. A few weeks ago we received canes of two varieties of raspberry. With the blueberries we hope to grow a range of berries. These are fruit that we do not usually buy. There were some good ideas, on the Gardening Australia TV programme, for planting loganberries etc.
On our regular shopping trip we visited the local home hardware store nursery. The nursery has improved out of sight since it was taken over by a lady who has taken a great interest in the nursery. She now stocks a wide range of native plants at reasonable prices. Plants in 14 centimetre pots are 4 for $10. We purchased a number including: Grevillea diminuta, Eremophila Berylís Blue, Acacia Honey Bun and Tetratheca thymifolia. We always select plants, when purchasing, with maximum cutting material. These purchases were no exception. We put in 12 cuttings from each plant. Even if only half this number takes root then we have saved money.
One significant wildlife sighting this week: Four Double-barred Finches and four Red-browed Finches were feeding near our deck were we had scattered seed.