New_pond2.JPG (50415 bytes)Week 1 August 2006: Rain = 2mm
We gave our fruit trees another spray with Bordeaux mix as insurance against curly leaf.
There was more planting during the week. Another 33 plants went into the ground.
A number of plants are flowering. We found a Hakea petiolaris, hidden amongst other shrubs, that was covered in flowers. A number of our native Eucalyptus albens are flowering. This is keeping the larger honeyeaters, such as wattlebirds and Rainbow Lorikeets happy. A Eucalyptus magnificata is beginning to bloom. Last year this tree was covered in blossom. We hope to have an encore this spring.
About a month ago we received some Prostanthera scutellarioides cuttings from a friend who is fan of this attractive native plant genus (as we are). This is a particularly attractive form with bright blue flowers. This week we potted on over 20 struck cuttings. These plants will be scattered throughout our gardens.
We spread some sawdust on the paths around our new pond. Most of the new plants went into the garden surrounding this pond (see image).
We went back to the University one morning this week. A great deal of research has gone into the development of a number of varieties of Microlaena stipoides, Weeping Grass. One variety, Griffin, is now available commercially and there was a ceremony, at the Botany Department, to celebrate the handing-over of the first royalty cheque from the commercial grower. Griffin is a fine, soft turf grass that is hardy and drought resistant. The other two varieties will be released within a few years. It is very pleasing to see a native grass produced commercially. Many native grasses have great horticultural potential.
We drove around a new rural subdivision, on the way home from shopping, one day this week. At the end of a cul-de-sac there were masses of short, white-flowering shrubs. They were Pimelea linifolia also known as the Slender Rice Flower. We have a few plants growing naturally on Yallaroo but not in such numbers. The proliferation of plants, at the end of the road, was probably triggered by road works.
Last spring we planted a number of tomato plants amongst our natives. There was also a rash of feral tomatoes from the previous seasonís plants. We collected heaps of delicious fruit. Towards the end of summer we collected some cuttings and the resulting plants were kept in our glasshouse (or plastic house). These plants are surviving and thriving and one specimen is carrying some tomatoes. On the arrival spring these plants will be planted in one of our gardens. We will take tomato cuttings at the end of summer.

Garden Diary